All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Re: Zombies.
    PostPosted: 12.31.2011 12:20 am 
Overlord

VR6 Mk3 wrote:
Good eye Jason. I thought Glenfield was the maker based on the paperwork with it? The rifle says "Glenfield Mod 25 - The Marlin Firearms Co." on the side.

I went to the range yesterday with my $6 Wal-Mart scope, and actually it was quite accurate (in my "unexpert" opinion at least) from 75 feet or so. I had a lot of fun, plus this is probably about the cheapest gun to shoot. Not only is the ammo cheap, but it takes a lot longer to go through rounds, being bolt action, and only holding 8 rounds at a time.

Glenfield was a name that Marlins were sold under at chain stores back in the day (60's-70's). They were basically the same, just with cosmetic differences. I think the Glenfield name was dropped in the early 80's. Another big Marlin-Glenfield is the Model 60 - main competitor to the Ruger 10/22.

.22's definitely are fun - excellent bang for the buck, and a great way to kill a couple hours at the range on the cheap. Bolt action will slow you down a bit - that's the problem with semi's like the 10/22. Even shooting for groups at 100 yards, it's so easy to rip through a brick of ammo. You spend a ton of time reloading when you're limited to ten round mags. That's why I'm rolling with these bad larries:

Ten round factory mags in triple clamps. :P Only downside is the rifle looks like it has a nutsack when they're inserted. :sly:

Try some 3" slugs in your Mossberg - they'll leave a mark. :D

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____

PostPosted: 12.31.2011 12:42 pm 

GTI_2.0T wrote:
Terry Crews' weapon of choice in The Expendables... :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80j4_hwU6E

Awesome, but I thought those things only held 32 rounds. :P

Nothing wrong with some big nuts. Everyone puts them on their trucks around here.

So what does your collection contain at this point?

-Nick
www.overdrivephoto.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12.31.2011 5:46 pm 
Overlord

VR6 Mk3 wrote:
So what does your collection contain at this point?

I'll have to setup a new group photo one of these days... At the moment, a couple of Mossbergs (18.5" 500 and a 20" 590 with a Mesa stock setup, both 12ga), a couple of AR's (carbine and a scoped, bull barreled 20" bench gun), a couple of .22's (the GSG and the 10/22) and a couple of 9mm's (M&P and the PPS).

I need something in 30 caliber and I want some cold war stamped steel main battle rifle goodness. Since I'm not a communist, that leaves an FN FAL or an HK G3 (realistically, more like a PTR 91). I'm leaning towards the PTR 91, but it'll probably be some time before I pick one up.

Then of course, there's always the desire for something of the .50BMG variety... :D

PostPosted: 01.02.2012 11:39 pm 

GTI_2.0T wrote:

.22's definitely are fun - excellent bang for the buck, and a great way to kill a couple hours at the range on the cheap. Bolt action will slow you down a bit - that's the problem with semi's like the 10/22. Even shooting for groups at 100 yards, it's so easy to rip through a brick of ammo. You spend a ton of time reloading when you're limited to ten round mags.

should have bought one of these:
http://blackdogmachinellc.net/drum-10-22-50rd.aspx

i think i'm going to pick one up for my .22 upper. 25 round mags are like 30 bucks, and they only really hold like 12 rounds. reloading is a bitch, but that 50 rounder looks like a hoot!

nice pistol jason. looks pretty legit, how's it shoot?

nick, i didn't realize that .22 was bolt. that adds to the badassness of it. bolt actions are just plain cool :thumbup: your dad isn't expecting that back, is he?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.03.2012 12:39 am 
Overlord

riceaterslc wrote:
should have bought one of these:
http://blackdogmachinellc.net/drum-10-22-50rd.aspx

i think i'm going to pick one up for my .22 upper. 25 round mags are like 30 bucks, and they only really hold like 12 rounds. reloading is a bitch, but that 50 rounder looks like a hoot!

nice pistol jason. looks pretty legit, how's it shoot?

A big drum would be definitely be sweet for the GSG. I don't know how well it'd work out on the 10/22 from the bench though... :D Not to mention what something like that would cost for a preban version (if it even exists). Tyler did bring me a sweet preban 25 round banana mag over the holidays though - just fits when sitting on the bipod. :thumbup:

The PPS is badass. I'm amazed at how well I can shoot it right out of the box. Better than my M&P. I actually think i prefer its center hold sight picture and the accuracy is almost unbelievable from such a small gun. The tolerances are almost watch-like - it locks up extremely tight. It's as small as I would ever want to go - still a three finger grip even with the 7 round mag, only an inch wide. It carries super easily since it's so slim, but it shoots like a much bigger gun. Recoil even with 147gr gold dots is a non-issue. And I think it's just plain hawt. :P

Downside is mag capacity (single stack - a necessary evil for the width). Still though, with two mags it's 16 rounds with one in the tube, only five less than what I'd carry with the M&P due to the NYS mags. And unlike the M&P, it completely disappears in an IWB holster.

Only other downside is the James Bond wannabes on every gun forum. But now I've heard that Bond carries a PPS in the latest book, so maybe they're on to something... :P

PostPosted: 01.03.2012 5:06 pm 

riceaterslc wrote:
nick, i didn't realize that .22 was bolt. that adds to the badassness of it. bolt actions are just plain cool :thumbup: your dad isn't expecting that back, is he?

I don't think he's planning to use it any time soon (ever again?), so it's mine for the time being at least.

Any idea what that thing would be worth today? I was assuming next to nothing, but my buddy told me that certain models of Marlin are worth some money.

I have no idea what half of the stuff is that you guys are talking about, but I'm enjoying the pics. :)

-Nick
www.overdrivephoto.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.03.2012 6:37 pm 

Did a little research. It seems like my friend was wrong, at least about the Model 25 being valuable. That's fine with me though, I don't have to worry about using it. :)

-Nick
www.overdrivephoto.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.03.2012 10:51 pm 

VR6 Mk3 wrote:
Did a little research. It seems like my friend was wrong, at least about the Model 25 being valuable. That's fine with me though, I don't have to worry about using it. :)

what's it worth?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.04.2012 11:44 am 

riceaterslc wrote:
VR6 Mk3 wrote:

what's it worth?

I think around the $50-100 range from the small amount of info that I was able to find. Still, it appreciated from the $35 that my dad spent on it (not counting inflation).

-Nick
www.overdrivephoto.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.05.2012 1:47 am 
Overlord

Snapped a couple new photos of the PPS...

PostPosted: 01.05.2012 12:56 pm 

i want to shoot it.

is that a jager towel?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.05.2012 1:13 pm 
Overlord

riceaterslc wrote:
i want to shoot it.

is that a jager towel?

Next time you're up here, we'll hit the range. Looking into what my options are for maybe bringing it down there too - I know you guys don't need permits for possession, right? If it's cased and unloaded, I'm good?

And hell yes that's a Jager towel. :P

PostPosted: 01.05.2012 11:19 pm 

I'll have to find an excuse to come to Rochester and test out these badboys!

-Nick
www.overdrivephoto.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.06.2012 11:12 am 

GTI_2.0T wrote:

Next time you're up here, we'll hit the range. Looking into what my options are for maybe bringing it down there too - I know you guys don't need permits for possession, right? If it's cased and unloaded, I'm good?

And hell yes that's a Jager towel. :P

both of you fools need to come down here, and i'll keep recommending st patty's day. it is literally out of control, in a good way.

and yes jason, don't need paperwork. when i go to the range i usually don't bother unloading my pistol. just throw it in the range bag with the AR mags :)

coming from out of state though i wouldn't recommend that. locked up is the right way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.06.2012 7:43 pm 

I definitely want to. I have a ton of work and personal travel this year, but hopefully I can find a time. During the summer/fall let me know if there is a good time and I'll try to make it down!

-Nick
www.overdrivephoto.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02.11.2012 2:23 pm 

had the opportunity to pick up a used Elcan SpecterDR.
now i know why people spend money for good glass. this thing puts my eotech to shame.
zero'd it in at the range this morning and couldn't be happier. having the ability to go from 1x to 4x instantly is amazing.
also added the angled foregrip. i like it a lot, much better than the standard vertical foregrip. i keep forgetting to take pictures of my targets but i'll be sure to get some next time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02.20.2012 4:29 pm 
Overlord

Now that's hot... and seriously baller. :shock: :thumbup: Better (but nowhere near as baller) glass for my bench gun is definitely in the plans, just don't know when. Cheap stuff may get the job done (sometimes), but then once you look through something quality, it's game over. I've been wishy washy on an AFG for my carbine too - sometimes I like it being clean, other times I want something low profile to consistently locate on. I don't like VFG's either.

You need a foilage MOE stock to match btw. :D Oh and you should get back on facebook - we have a gun,zombie and photography group going - just Kev, Nick, Tyler, Tom and me. :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16